Private Health Insurance Benefits Paid to Members
The benefits paid out on behalf of members by Private Health Funds in 2010 totalled $12.5 billion. This was an increase of 8.1% on the previous 12 months. Private Health Funds are forecast to inject more than $13 billion into Australia’s health care system in 2011.
The table below shows what Funds paid for their Member’s Healthcare by State/Territory.
The Private health care sector is a major contributor to Australia’s health system, performing 59%* of surgical procedures in Australia, including:
- 56% of major procedures for malignant breast conditions;**
- 60% of chemotherapy treatment;**
- 65% of major joint replacements; and**
- 81% of same-day mental health procedures.**
* Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) 2011. Australian Hospital Statistics 2009-10.
** Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) 2010. Australian Hospital Statistics 2008-09.