Australians deserve better healthcare
Australians work hard to build a better life for themselves and their families. And they expect their families to have access to the best possible healthcare options.
It is a fact that over 50% of Australians now rely on Private Healthcare.
These 11 million Australians rely on Private Healthcare for their hospital, medical, dental, optical, and other ancillary healthcare needs.
Working together to benefit Australians
Australia’s Private Healthcare Funds and Medicare are working in tandem to give Australians a better health care system.
Private health insurance is certainly making a big contribution and taking a lot of pressure off the public hospital system.
How we support the public health sector
We’re taking the pressure off the public health system
You should know a few key facts about how the private sector supports the public health sector.
- There were 573 private hospitals operating in Australia in 2009–10.
- Private hospitals perform the majority of surgery in Australia – 59%.
- 81% same day mental health treatment.
- 78% other knee procedures.
- 71% complex middle ear infection.
- 70% lens procedures.
- 65% other major joint replacement and limbreattachment.
- 60% cancer therapy (Chemotherapy).
We are paying more than our fair share
“My family pays a lot of money to support our health system and I want that recognised.”
Like all tax paying Australians, our family pays our fair share through the 1.5% Medicare levy.
And because we choose Private Healthcare we also pay more to make sure our family has access to the best hospital cover and the best general treatment cover.
Our Health Rebate is important to us
We see our Rebate from the government as recognition of the fact that we are:
- Taking personal responsibility for our healthcare costs.
- Already paying our fair share of Australia’s health costs.
- Helping to take the burden off the public hospital system.
- Easing the pressure in emergency departments.
- Taking the pressure off hospital beds.
- Supporting Australia’s public health system.
- Helping government to deliver a better health system to all Australians.